Jun 23, 2009

Gardening

As promised I'm blogging about my garden :). Now I'm hopeful that I will have some yummy fresh veggies but I know better then to be too optimistic as this is my first attempt at gardening so we will see how this goes.

My mom and dad put together the boxes (my mom did the cutting and my dad put them together on Mother's Day for me). and I had many trips to the store for dirt along with adding in layers of compost and dirt from the ground.

After we returned from our trip I set to the task of planting the 2 boxes and here is the result of my toils as of June 3rd.
The upper box is all seed: Zucchini, Peas, Lettuce, Cucumbers & Pumkins
The lower box is seeded with: Peppers & Broccoli
Additionally the lower box has planted from the greenhouse: Peppers, Tomatoes, Basil, Mint, Yellow Squash

Above is the view you see from the other end of the yard. We get the most sun in that spot from around 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. the rest of the time its shady but the plants don't seem to mind so much yet. Where the boxes are there were 2 over grown shrubs that were taking up that whole area of the yard. Its been slow going but the yard looks about 300% better than it did last fall.

Here is my garden boxes as of June 16th, just before all of the many many days of rain. I got out to check in on the plants and they are doing wonderful I just need to take some more pics of them. Its so exciting to see the garden coming along and the grass that has been planted as well.

An upclose view of my plants and the row of broccoli that has been thinned out a little since then as I wasn't too confident that anything would come up.

And just for fun, the raspberry bushes have some berries on them! I saw a few starting to trun color a few more weeks and I'll have lots of pretty berries to pick!


No comments: